Permanent Projects of Rotary club of Kankaria
1. Rotary Physiotherapy Center — Managed by the Charitable Trust, it has gained the recognition of being the only Fully Airconditioned Physiotherapy centeronthe eastern side of Ahmedabad, and one ofthe best. Established in January 1 985, ittreats an average of more than 100 patients per day. A team of dedicated, qualified Physiotherapists and experienced technicians looks after the patients. The center is MOST MODERN having updated by installing latest equipments year by year. Started since 1985, with total 30 years of service, and with an average of about 3,000 patients treated each month, we have treated about 10,80,000 patients till date.
2. Rotary-BPA Garage Sale — Started in association with the Blind People’s Association, the project aims at collecting all types of used and waste goodsfrom homes like clothes, footwear, electronic goods, furnishings, furniture, etc. and gifting it to the BPA to refurbish and sell through their special ‘Charity Shop‘ to needy at very low or auction rates, the received amount being utilized forwelfare ofthe blind recruits at the BPA.
3. Rotary Acupressure Treatment Center —Dr. Mugatlal Thanki, world renowned Acupressure specialist and one of our members provides his Expert services and treats patients free of charge at the centre.
4. Rotary Excellence Awards — These are given every year to exemplary citizens, preferably from local community, or Ahmedabad as an extended community, for Outstanding Community Service, Servicethrough Vocation, Youth Achievement, Service to Youth, and Organisation engaged in exemplary community service. Under this program, we have awarded approximate 1 50 personstill date, since last about 30 years.
5. Free Cataract Operations — Our club has a permanent tie-up with the K K Maniben Eye Hospital, Saraspur, Ahmedabad, for free cataract removal operations to needy, through the club started since 20 years, we have provided this facility to about 1010 patients till now, and have checked about 19,474 patients, till date. Also we have operated about 500 other needy patients through Matching Grants Program of Rotary
6. Women Empowernment – Started in 2013 Under this “SHAKTl“ program, we have about 30 automatic sewing machines, on which we train needy women to learn garment stitiching. After being trained for 3 months, these women are either placed in manufacturing industry or become self employed. in these two years, we have trained about 99 women till date, in 6 different batches. They were certified with “Basic stitching
Machine operatorcourse” Training Certificates”
7. Water Purifier:- under matching grant project of Rotary international, we have provided about 15 purifier systems for schools since last 2 years, and still ongoing, we have target of providing 100 purifiers.
8. Yoga Centre: We have started BKS lyengar Yoga training Centre at our Rotary Bhavan, Since 201 3, for benefit of common people opento community.
9. Adoption of Municipal Marathi School: We have adopted a Municipal Marathi School since last 8 years, underthis project we take care of all types of needs of the school building as well as the students. We have given benches & Fansforclasses, Water purifiers for hygenic drinking water, science lab and books for students and also built toiletsforthefacilities of students.
10. Rotary Buisness Clinic : Started since 2014.
11. Neem Paste & Neem Juice distribution: Every year, since last 10 years, we distribute Neem paste & Neem Juice, as preventive medication, to about 700 persons per year. Juice, as preventive medication, to about 700 persons per year. About 700 persons have been benefited underthis project, till date.
12. TEACH Program: OurC|ub has presently adopted 2 schools underthis “TEACH” adopt program of Rotary. TEACH project is aimed to provide Happy Schools, E — education inform of education CD, teachers training and outreach for parents.
T = Teacher Support, E= E learning, A = Adultliteracy, C = Child Development, & H = Happy School.
Annual Projects of Rotary Club of Kankaria:
1. Rotary Elocution Competition — Started in 1982, this competition aims at developing Public Speaking skills in students of the area. Every year, more than 150 students from Std. 5 to 12 from over 40 schools participate in the competition. Rotating Trophies have been instituted and individual prizes given to participants. Since last 2 years, about5000 students have participated and benefited from this competition.
2. Rotary Healthy Baby competition — Started in 1989, our club aims at creating awareness about healthy children in young parents. Special counseling session is also arranged afterthe competition. More than 100 children participate in the competition in the age group of 1 to 4 years. Since last 25 years, about 2500 children have benefited till now.
3. Career Guidance — Being organised forthe benefit ofthe students passing out of 12th Std., to give them and idea and exposure about various options available for career. Thus heipingthe young minds to selecttheirstearms and career, since last 5 years.
Regular Projects of our club
1. Medical Camps – Various medical camps are organized in semi—urban and rural areas for the benefit of the community. These include general and stream focused camps. Diagnosis, treatment and furtherfollow-up are also taken care of. Special camps for particular groups like Police, AMTS Drivers & Conductors, etc. have also been organized.
2. Marathon lor Physically Handicapped — in association with the Center for Physically Handicapped, this Marathon Run of 10 kms. On Tricycle attracts more than 125 participants from all over the state of Gujarat. A Prize awarding ceremony and entertainment programme follow the marathon.
3. Meritorious Awards to Students — Our club awards students getting the best aggregate percentage in board exams of 12th Std. (Science & Commerce) in schools from ourarea.
4. Polio Immunization Campaigns— Polio eradication is Rotary’s goal and dream. It has spent more than 700 US Million $ around the world to provide vaccines, infrastructure, campaigning, etc. for vaccination awareness through governments. Our club takes this very seriously and contributes its time, money and effort on the National Immunization Days.
1. Bore-well Project — Our clubtook up a massive Drinking Water Project where we put up 33 hand pumps in peripheral villages of Ahmedabad, in areas where people had to go up to 5 kms. to fetch a bucket of water. About 18,000 people have benefited from this project till date.
2. Clean City Campaign — We partnered with the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation to beautify and maintain our area clean. Motivating AMC sweepers, joining local groups and helped by government, we could bring great awareness about every citizen’s role in keepingthe neighborhood clean.
3. Disaster Relief camps —At time of disaster, our club actively responds and actively participates during floods, earthquake, riots, etc. basically providing food, relief material, and volunteering —individually and as a group.
4. Service to Elderly — We occasionally visit old age homes and spend time with their inmates, organize musical, bhajan programs, provided meals, etc.
5. Leadership Camps — For children & youth, to trainthem and develop their hidden innertalents. We also organize RYLAfor our Rotractors as well as community youth.
6. Open Seminars — On various topics like Consumer Rights, RTI, VAT, Budget,
7. Eye & Body Donation Drive — Our club has, initiated such a campaign and collected undertakings from a lot of people to donate their eyes. We have even arranged training for doctors to remove eyes from dead body, and preserve and donate it to Eye bank.
8. Shrimad Bhagwat Katha — by very revered Puiya Rameshbhai Oza, 35000 devotees took benefit for 7 days, with all celebrations. This was all done with the aim of creating a community bonding, attracting people to get a better understanding of how to live a better life as per our religious scriptures. Various facilities were provided for devotees. Various medical camps were organized.
9. Blood Donation Camp: We also organize timely blood donation camps. This year we collected about585 blood bottles, from donors from community.
Future Projects & vision of Rotary club of Kankaria
1. Rotary Rehabilitation Center— Develop the Rotary Physiotherapy Centerturther to Anti—Natal & Pre—Natal treatment center, Rehabilitation Center, and Fitness Center. All necessary equipments would be added. The place is self—owned.
2. Rotary Community Center— Ourclub has built its own Modern 5floor BHAVAN, which is being developed into a Community Center with a range of activities for the benetitotall age group of people.
3. Rotary Library— Focused on children & youth. this will be the first hi—tech library in the area with books, CDs and internetlacilities for character building and personality development.
4. Rotary Career Guidance Center — A store house of all career development options available in the world for our students. this center will have net access to help them in find, registerforcourses and universities online.